In the United Kingdom there exist strict regulations that pertain to furniture and furnishings within any property that is made available for let.
Furnishings and the materials used must undergo rigorous fire resistance testing to ensure they comply with the Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988.
What types of furnishings and furniture are affected by those safety regulations?
* Sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles
* Beds, headboards of beds and mattresses
* Garden furniture that is used indoors
* Nursery furniture
* Scatter cushions and seat pads
* Loose and stretch covers for furniture
Landlords can read more about those fire safety regulations at http://www.nihe.gov.uk/furnishings